Thursday, September 29, 2011

i cried. a little.

so today - i changed my name.
and honestly i was a bit emotional about it.
i have had this name for 28 years - i am attached to it.
i felt like i was letting go of myself
i felt like i was letting go of my family
where i came from
and who i am.
while i know that there is more to me and my family than a name.
it just hurts a bit.

my friends  have always used my first and last name -  in conversation.
it was never just anne and i loved it.
are they still going to use both? since i have a new name?
then i realized (thanks to my mom) that i'll have this name longer than my original name.
yes - i called my mother because i was emotional about changing my name.
good thing she put it into perspective for me.

i could not be happier to be married to an amazing guy.
i am proud to take his last name.
i could not have a better in-law family to share this name with
i know i'll make memories with this new name
it might just take a while.

6 comments:

Tara said...

I was a little sad when I changed my name, too. It's tough...but then you get used to it and it becomes totally natural.

Katie said...

Well I'll prob still call you Anne Flynn! I still always call all my friends by their maiden name....weird, I know!

VL - victoriaINkansas said...

I'm with Katie. I'll probably call you Anne Flynn too. Especially bc we always call your husband Strube!

Stephanie said...

I totally agree with everyone - I still call most of my friends by their maiden names. I feel ya, though, I was super upset about changing my name (mostly because I felt like I was sort of losing the last piece of my dad, you know?).

On the plus side, at least your married name isn't the same as the author of those AWFUL vampire books!! :)

Barbara said...

38 years ago we pledged Pi Phi, and our names are still Louk, Cookie, Fromme, Sheri Sue - just ask VIctoria and Lauren, as these are the only names they know for my friends.

Paige Elise said...

I am really glad I came across this post. I feel the SAME way! I was surprised by my sadness as well.

Your friend, Paige LEITNAKER Badgett :)